CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 5, 2008

John Curtin Weekend

Weeee~ shoulda made a post about this sooner, once again I lagged behind, gomenne~ I shall recap the days to the best I can =)

~Day 1~

From the 3rd to the 5th, 6 groups of students volunteered to go to longhouses as far as Tatau (after Bintulutu) to help the communities with what ever we could.
I was in group 4, along with TuTu, Ian, May, a bunch of other wacky kids and Anso and Gerain who joined in after visiting the other longhouses being the OCs.
We set off from campus at roughly 7.30am, the earliest group to leave since our journey was the longest (estimated 5 hours O_o)
In the bus, most of us just zzzzz-ed away harhar, I stayed awake for the better half and just chatted away with TuTu and May till my head drooped and I went to lala land~ haha, yeah, after NS I can sleep anywhere =P

At around 11.45am we arrived at our destination taking only 4 hours instead of the estimated 5: Rumah Clement of Tatau, 26 houses long and when full has over 200 people.


inside view



outside view


We had a round of introduction once we unloaded our bags into a room they prepared for us then it was off to lunch p= I say, their food is 100 times better than what we get on campus!!! It was super yummy *yup yup* After lunch we head straight to work, first up, painting the fences! =D






cute kids with clean white painted fences =D



we made milky way on Earth XD



muahaha, the source of the milky way :P



an after work snap ^^


After the whole afternoon of painting (my sandles came apart from the heat! lol!) we hit the showers and had dinner~ after dinner was time to minggle with the kids =D There we had Cikgu Ian and Cikgu Anso making up games buahaha!


the kids =)



the gaming, we had "Abang Kata" by Ian :P


After the gamings, we brought out the donated books and clothes for the community to have, the kids were mighty happy about the books and something inside me just swell at how knowledge hungry the kids were. Glad to see that they were so enthusiastic =D





After all that we headed off to sleep at 11pm-ish in preparation of the next new day =)

~Day 2~

We all woke up at around 6.30am and had fried rice for breakfast p= a while after we were told we were going to have some stretching of some kind and got ready~



Turned out the stretching was nonother than the infamous Pocho Pocho dance! Haha, been a while since I danced this =D



After that it was time to work, this time we spilt into 2 groups, on 1 side was painting the exterier and interier of the new room, on the other was cleaning and touching up the paint.







This took us weeee into the evening then we had some R&R before the night life~ after dinner we waited for some of the residents to come back to the longhouse from Bintulu. At around 8, several families came back and had some fun =D We spent the night dancing, playing around and plain old fun ^^




tuak p= I had 6 shots of em XD



the photographers were targeted to go out and try the dance =)





tis was a great night


~Day 3~

At first, we were suppose to help with the gardening but no one could really get up so the Tuai Rumah said it was ok for us to just roam around and relax hehe. We joined the kids for a few rounds of dancing after we could all get up haha (talk bout hangover XD)
Then after lunch came what we were all waiting for....jungle trekking! To where? A waterfall!!! =D The guide kept saying 20 mins, however it took us near an hour to reach there!! There were 5 tree bridges like this:



It took us near an hour but it was worth it to enjoy the sight and sounds of this wonderful waterfall~



Sadly it was getting late and the bus was to arrive soon so we only had 15mins-ish with the waterfall before making our way back. A quick shower after reaching back and we were all packing our things away. It was a great experience and one I would never forget. Our time at the long house ended at 3.30pm on a Sunday afternoon when the bus arrived. I hope to be able to re-visit this community again. They have been so kind and generous to us and so I wish the kids and everyone at Rumah Clement all the best!

0 comments: